image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, March 02, 2009

Baby Update -- Week 37, 3 Weeks to Go!

I'll try to hit the highlights today. Been feeling so drained and tired lately, and I have SO much to do before this little one arrives.

First, I'm officially full term today, so if labor starts, the doctor won't do anything to stop it. That's exciting! The contractions are occurring, with some cramps and sharp aches for the past 2 weeks, but these are the Braxton Hicks ones with my uterus preparing, not the labor ones that will be sending me to the hospital. Thankfully, there have been only minimal aches and pains, and nothing in the back which might signal a potential for back labor. Praise God!

Oh, and my appointment last week went great. Only gained 1 lb. from the previous week, my blood pressure was a little higher but still normal, baby's heartbeat was a strong 149, and I measured about 5 days ahead at 37 weeks. I was 1-1/2 cm dilated and 70% effaced, but that could remain the same for weeks.

It's harder than ever to reach my feet to put on socks or even get my legs into pants. And I feel like I'm never getting enough sleep. Too uncomfortable at night. It's also difficult getting in and out of cars, but I manage. I have no reason to complain at all, especially compared to the stories I hear from other women. Thank God for my mother and her mother and the "good stock" from which I come. :)

It will be interesting to adapt to the changes once my baby arrives. Just like anything else, I know it will take time, but I'm confident all will go just fine. And now, for a few words from the little acrobat inside...






All right, my weight has leveled off with only a few ounces of fat added this past week. I'm sure Mommy's happy about that, although I've heard her mention her big belly several times. I'm sorry, Mommy! I don't have a scale in here, but Mommy has read that I should weigh in at around 7 lbs and be about 20 inches long. I still find ways to flex my legs and arms in here, so I'm not fighting as much as others inside those Mommies that are nothing more than stick figures. :)

Happily, my internal organs are now developed enough to function in the outside world. I can breathe on my own too! It will be fun to not have this liquidy stuff in my mouth all the time. My immune system though is still developing. That will continue even after I'm born, and when I get that yummy milk from Mommy, I'll get lots and lots of antibodies too, which will help keep me and her healthy.

I can't tell if I have hair or not, as everything feels close to the same in here. From what I hear, Daddy has dark hair and Mommy is a redhead. Hmm...wonder what I'll end up being.

I'm 37 weeks with 21 days to go...





Ok, back to me for a brief bit of closure.

I had my Group B strep test 1-1/2 weeks ago and it came back negative. That was the last test during my prenatal appointments. Now, it's a true waiting game. I just have to keep in mind that only 4-5% of women actual deliver on their predicted due date. And since this is my first pregnancy, I am told I can expect to be anywhere from two days to two weeks late. Praying that doesn't happen, as I want a March baby. I've officially delivered the eviction notice to this little angel. Baby has a month to make a decision on his/her birthday. :)

Yesterday, I had a baby shower and here's the link to the pictures.

It's finally feeling close to complete. We have all of the big ticket items and even some "fun" ones like a bouncer, doorway jumper, swing and exersaucer. We have a lot of diapers now thanks to a diaper raffle at the shower, many many washcloths and blankets, and 4 hooded bath towel sets. This baby will be squeaky clean and toasty warm. LOL!

Finally, I'm not sure if you have heard of spitting in Drain-O and having it predict the gender of your baby, but my family made me do it, so they could find out. I didn't look, but they were more than happy to tell anyone who wanted to know. Now, they just have to keep it a secret from me and Stu for another few weeks. My cousin said her chiropractor does it for every expectant mother who comes into the office, and it's had 100% accuracy so far. Guess we'll see if it was right for me.

That's all for today. Back to finishing up laundry and other items on my "to-do" list.

If you wish to be notified of updates each week, subscribe over there on the right and receive an email each time I post. Thanks for coming along on this journey with me.

* * * * *

2 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, lady. I do so remember that last tedious month! I fired off early with both my babies, so in God's right timing, maybe you will, too!

If you like to swim, now is a good time. That was what I did, every chance I got. It felt so good to be relatively weightless!

Anonymous said...

Anytime, girl! We're anxiously waiting for that little one"

I didn't have any frontal pain, just light back labor. So it's been interesting hearing what it's like to have contractions, with the Braxton hicks at first.

I pray you have a safe, healthy delivery. Definitely keep us posted as soon as you are able. It's like having a daughter having a baby.

Swimming is a great idea!