image: header
image: gownflare

Monday, March 09, 2009

Baby Update -- Week 38, 2 Weeks to Go!

All right, so we're truly into a waiting game now. I have a few more days with just a small number of things on my "to do" list. After that, this little one can come out any time. In fact, any day after the 12th, and the eviction notice can be answered free and clear. :) Of course, I'm not sure I'd want Friday, the 13th, but if it happens, oh well.

Last week, I had another weekly appointment. No change in dilation or effacement. Baby's heartbeat began at 180 after an active spout in the waiting room, then went down to normal around 150. That's where it's been for the past month or so. I measured at 38 weeks, so still a few days ahead, but pretty much on target. I haven't gained any weight in about 6 weeks and am maintaining fairly well. My blood pressure was 120/69, so still going great. My next appointment is this coming Thursday.

After that day, I'll be using the exercise ball, walking, going up and down the stairs, looking to eat some fresh pineapple and trying to persuade hubby to take me for a really nice meal at Red Lobster for fresh lobster, since it will likely be our last one alone for quite a while. Not that I mind. I'm getting quite anxious to meet this little one. Being an incubator is special, but it's time for baby to meet the world...






Wow, I've really plumped up. I now weigh somewhere between 6-8 pounds and I'm between 19-21 inches long (like a leek). I have a firm grasp, which Mommy and Daddy and everyone will soon be able to test when they hold my hand for the first time! My organ systems have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.

Wondering what color my eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If I'm born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If I'm born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time I'm 9 months old. That's because these things called irises may gain more pigment in the months after I'm born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. Hmm...Mommy has hazel green and Daddy has blue. Wonder what I'll get.

I've got my meconium stockpile building up (that's the first poo), lots of healthy baby fat, a super intelligent brain that'll keep growing with me for years to come, and I've more or less reached official baby status -- all I need to do is "head out" and say hello to the rest of the world and especially my ready-to-pop momma. She says she feels like she's as big as a house and is making frequent visits to the bathroom because I'm sitting on something called a bladder. That must be the pillow I'm using. It's so comfy!

I'm 38 weeks with 14 days to go...IF I stay in here that long...





Back to the "big-as-a-house" Momma. :) Today, we had our carpets treated and cleaned, so I did some pick-up and straightening this morning. Well, I ran the vacuum and moved a few pieces of furniture and definitely overdid it. The pain in lower abdomen right where the thighs connect to the torso makes it hard to go from sitting to standing position. Once I'm there, though, I'm good. It's just the transition that gets me. Hubby is insisting I take it easy and is watching me like a hawk. So, guess it's more sitting and resting as much as possible. At least the baby wasn't affected at all. Still moving and kicking and healthy as can be in there. Right on schedule.

In the meantime, I'll be using this time to put the final touches on the baby's nursery and take care of necessary tasks I may not get around to for a while after this little one is born. I'll try to take naps since I'm not sleeping well at all, catch up on your reading, and spend uninterrupted time with hubby while I can.

Oh, and I've included some fun pictures of a couple new things we got last week and a little something I did last Friday at my nail appointment.

That's all for today. Back to taking it easy to hubby doesn't yell at me. Looks like he'll be guilted into helping with the rest of the laundry then. :)

If you wish to be notified of updates each week, subscribe over there on the right and receive an email each time I post. Thanks for coming along on this journey with me.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

LOL! All husbands are like that. Suddenly we become fragile pieces of china that have to be put on a shelf.

You look great! I hope your last couple of weeks goes by quickly--though from experience that doesn't usually happen.

Cheryl